Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

Yikes! Three times the fun?

baby development

Monday, October 30, 2006

Dumb Comments

I want to keep track of the dumb comments I receive, and this has been on my mind today, even though I got the comments a while ago.

1. After announcing to a group of girlfriends that I'm expecting, a girl I barely know (have met only once or twice) says something along the lines of "Oh, I thought so...I could tell." WTF?? I was only about 6 or 7 weeks along at this point, so you know me well enough that you could tell?!?! (If I had cat claws, they would've come out to scratch at this point.)

2. Emailing with a family member, telling her the news, I said that I wanted to tell her now, as opposed to the next time I see her, which would be around Christmas, and it would be blatantly obvious that I'm pregnant then. Response? "You won't be showing by then." Huh? Excuse me? I'm already showing the pudgy belly...that's why we needed to tell Don's family before we saw them at Thanksgiving, where it would be more apparent.

Anywho, I don't think the second comment was all that bad, but still - I know my own body. And after seeing a post on a chat board I frequent, I think I may be showing a bit earlier than what is normal because I have a tilted uterus. My doctor mentioned it in passing the first time I saw her, but said it shouldn't be cause for concern in getting pregnant or anything. That much is obvious now.

I'm now blaming my always-present "pooch" (pregnant or not) on the tilted uterus. :-)

2 comments:

Erin said...

And the dumb comments will just keep on coming... people are so stupid sometimes.

When I was pregnant with Ben, I actually posted a Frequently Asked Questions section on my blog to answer all of the dumb questions I would get asked day after day after day...

Anonymous said...

When I was 3 months pregnant with Conner (and you KNOW how skinny I was then) someone had the nerve to tap me on the belly and accuse me of not showing. CLEARLY, my belly was not flat and anorexic looking as it previously had been. How rude!! Some people just don't think.