Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

Yikes! Three times the fun?

baby development

Friday, November 10, 2006

Maybe it's the exhaustion

What a long day. Up at 5:30 a.m., home at 11:30 p.m. Everyone that knew (or found out last night) that I'm pregnant kept saying that I'm such a trooper. I don't feel any more exhausted than I usually would after a day like today.

And what a day. It has been confirmed, and will be all over the local news soon, that the first advertising agency I ever worked for is shutting it's doors. I would say "haha" because they laid me off almost 4 years ago, I would say "that's awful" because a few of my old friends (including my former boss, that actually was the one to have to let me go) are now out of a job, but I just can't think of anything to say. This was, at one time, one of the city's hottest agencies. THE place to work, THE place for the work. Also one of the city's oldest agencies. And it's just ... gone... poof. Like that.

Erin may be the only one to really understand the impact of this, but trust me, it's big. It's huge. It's like losing a part of the city. Fells Point falls into the harbor, never to be seen or heard from or THOUGHT OF again.

Anyway, besides that, I think the crazy few days are bringing out a different me, an old, not so-fun-me that I thought I'd never see or feel again. So, I'm hoping it passes. This is not a fun me. But I held up well in front of all the big wigs. I schmoozed. And I really did have a great time with this big event. Then I wanted to cry. I want to know why only my life has to change for the next 9 months. Why I can't be sipping a few glasses of wine. Why Don can go out for a few beers, and isn't home to rub my feet.

It's partly a pity party. I'd invite you, but when I get like this, I also like to be alone. But don't worry! "I feel fine. No morning sickness. It's been great. I hardly feel pregnant, if only my pants weren't getting tight. No, I don't think we're going to find out if it's a boy or a girl. Yes, I have my favorite names picked out, but my husband isn't crazy about them, and no, I'm not going to tell you what they are."

I wonder if the baby realizes already that mom just fakes it half the time. Can he/she smell the sarcasm too?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a simple *hug*

Erin said...

Wow! I had no idea... you are talking about the big one that starts with an E, right? Okay, so that explains how AJ picked up a rather HUGE and surprising account just recently... wow... that's crazy!

Anonymous said...

Not to be debbie downer, but...it only gets worse after having the kid, then you OFFICIALY have no life!!!!