Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

Yikes! Three times the fun?

baby development

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Don't tell me what I can't do!!

Tonight at my meeting, someone's ordering drinks, looks to the guy next to me and says "What do you want to drink?" then proceeds to look at me and say "You can't drink."

Not a question. Not even (at first) "What would you like? Water? Soda?" Well, gee, if I can't DRINK, then I guess water and soda are out! Maybe if they have some lemons I could suck on, that would be okay. But eventually he does offer me that water or soda, but then my question is, if people tell me I can't have coffee or any caffeine, why oh why are you offering me SODA?!?!

Well, my meeting was just so fun after that, that I indeed came home, and cracked open that bottle of wine. I'm still sipping on the one small glass I poured two hours ago, but dammit, I'm savoring it! And tomorrow? I may just go to Starbucks (gasp!) and get myself a REGULAR Grande Gingerbread Latte. Dear god, I should be arrested for being the worst mother ever.

The funniest thing to me? Most people (before I mention that I indeed have drank a glass of wine while pregnant, and I might just drink another before this 9 months is over!) will say such things at "Oh, well, our parents used to smoke and drink heavily while pregnant, and we all turned out fine!" Why is this funny? Because these are the same people that will probably look at you like you have 5 heads when you have one sip of alcohol.

I also thought about posting something titled "Reality TV Jumps the Shark". While watching the Biggest Loser finale, I saw the latest in reality tv talent competitions. People actually auditioning for a role in the musical adapation of Grease.

Give. Me. A. Break.

I'm going back to my glass of wine now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just about every day I have a regular mocha from Starbucks or Panera. If not that, then a regular coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Other than possibily contributing to my offspring being a little hyper, I'm not worried about it.

When you are pregnant/have a new baby, people feel like they have license to judge/criticize/offer unsolicited advice. These same people seem to think it's okay to touch your belly. It's all part of the "fun"!

Bitter Mom said...

Don't get me started on belly touching! Luckily, not too many people have taken the liberties, but even those that do? I actually don't mind so much, because it's people I know and love. I think when I get bigger, and it's strangers, though, I might have to start breaking fingers.

The other thing lately? Don's sister when we talk (or he talks with her) asks "How's my baby?"
Um, your baby? Last time I checked, I'm carrying MY baby, and your baby should be four years old and at home with you...so you tell me, how is YOUR baby??

Anonymous said...

FYI - You're killing your baby!!!!
:-)

Bitter Mom said...

Nah, I think the baby is much happier a little tipsy! (But really, I didn't even get tipsy off that little bit of wine!!) Now, back to my coffee...hehehe

Anonymous said...

Claire had a caffeine buzz my whole pregnancy!! I also poisoned her with hair dye and nutrasweet!

Bitter Mom said...

Shame on you!! It's a wonder why she didn't come out with two heads and three eyes!! :-P