So, here's a first round of questions for the already-mommies. I thought I had picked up a copy of "What to Expect..." at the library to help answer a few questions, but it turns out I accidently grabbed "What to EAT When You're Expecting". No help.
So, I'm approaching 17 weeks along...what should I be doing??
-When should I pick a pediatrician?
-When should I send back that hospital registration form?
-Knowing full well any pediatrician I pick will not go all the way to St. Joe's to visit the kid before we're released, is there a particular St. Joe's doc that I should pick to check out the kid, or will any of them do? (Erin, you should have that same list - any recommendations?)
-When should I register?
-What exactly do I NEED for the baby, that I should register for?
(I know that question could lead to A LOT of answers, but I'm seriously clueless! I know, stroller, car seat...I know all the big things, but the little things??)
-Should I get a convertible crib??
Here's a little about me, that might help answer the questions:
-Right now, I'm not planning on breastfeeding.
-I don't see even using a bassinet, much less having room for it in our bedroom. Straight to the crib is my plan.
-I do plan on having a portable crib (pack-n-play) in the basement for when I can get some work done with the baby. :-)
-What will be the nursery will probably only fit a crib, dresser and small chair/rocker/glider...obviously we'll be going with the dresser-top diaper changes.
-We have two dogs that will likely eat anything left on the floor, or stored loosely at kitchen-counter-height or lower, and will think that any baby toys are theirs to chew. Giving up the dogs is not an option, and no, I don't think they'll eat the kid. Just lick him/her a lot. :-)
I'm just lost. I also picked up a copy of Baby Bargains at the library, but of course it's not the latest edition, so I should just break down and buy a copy. But even that book is really confusing...Isn't there just a list of things somewhere that can help me out? Becky, can I just take you with me to register??
In home-cleaning and organizing news, I got my pretty new curtains from Restoration Hardware ("Light Celery"), got a new shower curtain for my bathroom (White, but with new, cute shower curtain rings), picked out the paint colors for the hallways and stairwells, the white walls in my living room (all Antique White), the kitchen (two shades of a light green), and I've put away a CRAP LOAD of clothes that have been waiting to see a closet or a drawer for quite sometime. I can see my bedroom floor again!! YAY!!
I'm far from done, and obviously we need to get moving on getting the office moved to the basement to get started on the nursery, but everything else around the house is starting to come together! (The basement, though, is still painfully, unbearably, embarrassingly disgusting. Hence the holdup on moving the office!)
Sunday, December 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
My thoughts... (by no means, gospel...)
-When should I pick a pediatrician? Sooner than later... the easiest thing to do is ask around to friends with kids who live nearby. Ask questions like how they respond in an emergency situation, how easy is it to get a same-day appointment, are they friendly? knowledgeable? On-time (reasonably so?)? Do the other moms feel comfortable asking them questions? Then maybe go meet them for yourself...
There are lists of questions out there (just google) to help you with what you should ask any prospective pediatrician.
.
-When should I send back that hospital registration form? No reason why you shouldn't send it back in now. Again, the sooner the later... you never know when you'll end up in L&D for something (benign or not) at this point... I sent mine back last week, as soon as I got Tom's new insurance info.
-Knowing full well any pediatrician I pick will not go all the way to St. Joe's to visit the kid before we're released, is there a particular St. Joe's doc that I should pick to check out the kid, or will any of them do? I saw this list... however, I didn't pay much attention to it because my doc does come to St. Joes. I DO know that the pediatrician who saw Ben IN the delivery room (because he was vacuum assisted, I think) was a little rude... I'll see if I can dig up his name in our records somewhere.
-When should I register? Now! Registering is fun fun fun! ;) You can always tweak it online as you get recommendations from people or realize you forgot something.
-What exactly do I NEED for the baby, that I should register for? Babiesrus.com actually has a wonderful checklist to use a guideline. If I tried to list everything, I'm sure I'd leave out something totally basic. I can tell you all sorts of things you DON'T need though... like a wipes warmer... waste of space and money! ;)
-Should I get a convertible crib?? Our crib converted to a toddler bed, however, I ended up buying a toddler bed anyway because a) I didn't like the way the converted crib looked and b) I knew we'd be using it as a crib sooner than later. Most cribs out there seem to be convertible these days, so you'll probably end up with one. Just know that you may or may not use it as such. :)
Comments on your background info:
-Right now, I'm not planning on breastfeeding. (Me neither... and remind me to forewarn you about the pain that sneaks up on you a few days after the birth... holy effing cow.)
-What will be the nursery will probably only fit a crib, dresser and small chair/rocker/glider...obviously we'll be going with the dresser-top diaper changes. (same here...gah)
Btw, taking Becky with you to register is an excellent idea. No one knows better what you will REALLY use than someone who is currently living with a newborn. Even in the short 2.5 years I've had a kid, I've forgotten about some of the little things...
Sure i'll go...lots of fun! whatever you don't get from a shower you can borrow from me!
well, my answers are
1. I picked a ped. 2 weeks before Claire was born.
2. I never registered at the hospital.
3. I registered at 27 weeks.
4. Babies need a lot of shit, so I won't even begin to list!
5. I don't even know if I have a convertable crib!
aww...no boob feed, I will have no one to say "yup, sucks doesn't it" to.
I second Erin and Becky...
As for the convertible crib, we have one and it came into use since our little climber figured out how to get out of the crib rather early. So saying that, it's up to your style...
My opinion about doctors and hospital registering... start looking for a pediatrician soon in case you can't find one you like. Registering at the hospital early makes going in while in labor much easier. Register whenever.
Becky is a great resource for registering. If you want a tag-a--long, I can tell you what turned out to be really useful or what I wish I had. (but I won't get my feelings hurt if you say no - I'm an old mommy, I know)
Post a Comment