Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

Yikes! Three times the fun?

baby development

Friday, May 18, 2007

40 Weeks. Somebody shoot me.

Not much progress to report from the doctor's visit. She said something along the lines of there's not much going on with my cervix, and I'm about a fingertip...dialated, I guess. I think she did the fun membrane stripping - ouch. She didn't really warn me, just told me after the fact that I'm a pretty good patient that tolerated that well. Now I'm spotting, but with any luck it might help something.

She said it could be up to us, but we *could* induce next Friday. She also gave us the form to schedule the nonstress test - which I did, for Monday. That was an experience. It's the same form as the sonogram form, for the Perinatal Center.

So, I call the Perinatal Center.
"Hi, I need to schedule a nonstress test."
"A NON stress test?"
"Yes."
"Um, we don't do that here. Let me transfer you to scheduling."

(Scheduling)
"Hi. I need to schedule a nonstress test."
"A NON stress test?"
"Yes."
"Let me transfer you to the Perinatal Center."

(Perinatal center)
"I need to schedule a nonstress test."
"Hold on."
(On hold.)
"Hi, Scheduling department."

"The perinatal center just transfered me BACK to you. I need to schedule my nonstress test. N-O-N-S-T-R-E-S-S test. It says it right here on the form for the Perinatal Center."
"Yeah, I don't know why they're sending you back over to me - that's something you get done in pregnancy!!"
"Uh, I know!! They're obviously confused!! But even I know what a NST is!!!"

(Transfering back to Perinatal Center)

"Perinatal Center, this is Sharon" (a different person than the previous bimbo that had been taking my call.)
"Hi. I need to make an APPOINTMENT. Yes, I've been there before. My due date is today. I need to schedule a nonstress test."
"Sure! How about Monday - unless you go into labor before then, we'll see you on Monday!"

Jesus. If I figure out who the dumb bitch is working in the perinatal center that doesn't know what a nonstress test is, I'm going to kick her ass. Way to piss off a pregnant woman.

I got a latte from Starbucks after that. Mmmm...latte.

8 comments:

Erin said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA... gotta love the efficiency of the hospital. ;)

I had the membrane stripping with Ben... my GAWD that hurt. Like a thousand knives stabbing me in the cervix. I really do not know how I didn't pass out. Good for you for being a good patient!! I hope it does something for you! :) Usually, if there are results, I've heard it happens within 48 hours! So I'm crossing my fingers!!

Anonymous said...

Dah...next drink the starbucks ahead of time so your b/p goes up and they induce you that day!!

Anonymous said...

uh...I meant next time

Bitter Mom said...

good idea, becky!

nelly said...

oh dear! stupid people really eh? hang in there, you never know a finger tip doesn't mean much.....

Erin said...

I believe I went from fingertip (or maybe 1) and not at all effacted to baby in the matter of 24 hours. So there is hope!

Erin said...

effaced... that word would be effaced. ;)

Anonymous said...

Clearly that woman does not have a clue about pregnancy hormones. I'm praying for ya!!