Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

Yikes! Three times the fun?

baby development

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Name Elimination!

Totally stealing this from Erin...

Here's a top-100 boy name list I found (completely different from the SSA Name Index, but I thought this was a better list). Help me eliminate names! Post a comment with one name at a time, and why you don't like it, but come back and do it again, until we get down to one name!! I'll remove names from the list as they're eliminated.

4 ETHAN

78 comments:

nelly said...

Damian

its a great list and that was at the bottom for me?!

Bitter Mom said...

I'm gonna remove #1 - Aidan. For reasons that it is #1 (and as my husband would claim, I like to be different), and we know enough kids with -aden names.

Anonymous said...

Christopher...too popular

Erin said...

Jared -- reminds me of David Bowie in Labyrinth

Bitter Mom said...

Heh. Good call, Erin. Great movie, and I wouldn't have thought to associate that name with him. I was thinking Subway and the jewelry store. :)

Sarah said...

Jaden - I know too many girls with that name

Sarah said...

Hayden - there's something about it that doesn't sound right with the last name.

Sarah said...

Oh and Hayden reminds me of the girl from Heros.

Bitter Mom said...

I took off Kaden. It's just made up to me, and it's another -aiden name. And we know a kid with that name.

Erin said...

#93 Gage... because seriously, who can pull that off as an adult? (or a child, for that matter)

Anonymous said...

Conner (or). Do I have to give a reason?

Anonymous said...

also Keegan. With your last name, I would totally make fun of you!

Erin said...

#85 Finn -- so trendy. Blech.

nelly said...

trevor - reminds me of neville's toad in harry potter!!

Becky said...

I am getting rid of #35 Isaac and #46 Ryan ... also I am surprised Isaac is more popular than Ryan hmmm

Bitter Mom said...

I took off James. Because "Jim" with our last name is a no-go.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say all 'J' names. Since you alrady have one kiddo with a J name. Not that I don't like the J names but I come from a family of J's and it is hard to break the trend.

Bitter Mom said...

Sure! Hehehe...my MIL is one of 7 'J's born to a J & J. And my mom is a J. I think we've agreed that we're not going with a J for this one (but the middle name will probably be a J!)

Erin said...

#76 - Asher... because... seriously?!

Bitter Mom said...

Erin, totally! I know of an ad agency with that name...because it's the owner's last name!

Sarah said...

Holden - just not feeling it either

Sarah said...

#24 - Logan...do I have to give a reason for that

Sarah said...

Also, if you are planning on using a "J" for the middle name...I might get rid of "T" names..cuz then they will be called TJ...unless you want that!!!

nelly said...

get rid of austin...

(and hey! i like asher!)

Bitter Mom said...

I'm not opposed to "TJ" but I am going to remove Tyler. Don's got a little cousin with that name.

Mandy said...

Tristan...knew a girl in elementary school named Tristan so it will forever be a girl name to me.

Mandy said...

and I'll go for Noah too since he can't have the same name as his cousin.

Bitter Mom said...

True that. For Tristan, too.

Bitter Mom said...

So far, the three names we've been talking about are still on the list...

Anonymous said...

77 MADDOX/MATTOX
You don't want to be an Brangalina wannabe ; )

Sarah said...

Thank you, I was gonna say the same thing about Maddox but I lost it on the list.

Anonymous said...

blake... too many memories for the better or worse. my local PH friends can commiserate.

Erin said...

Owen -- I have this thing where every time I hear the name, I think of "Throw Momma from the Train" with the gross old woman yelling OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWEEN!!!!

Otherwise, I like the name... I wish I could block out that part of that movie.

Sarah said...

Erin - that is hilarious...

#69 - Reece/Reese/Rhys = everytime I hear that I think of Reese Witherspoon.

Tracy said...

Landon. Reminds me of Michael Landon and his big hair.

Tracy said...

Grayson. Batman reference...and it's just weird to call a boy "Grayson"...maybe if he was 50 years old.

Tracy said...

Braden. Same reasoning that there are too many -aden kids.

Bitter Mom said...

LOL Tracy - me, too, about Landon! And I swear I worked with a mentally handicapped guy with that name once. He was totally perverted. Or maybe I just associate that name with him for other reasons?

Bitter Mom said...

I took off Zachary and Lucas. More cousins of Don.

Mandy said...

i'll veto Oliver. i would just start singing about a poor orphan boy who wanted "more" everytime i saw him. ;)

Anonymous said...

xander....unless you give birth to a superhero, then it's okay

Sarah said...

#29 - Matthew, I like the name but it is very popular

Sarah said...

#57 Michael - same reason - too poplular

nelly said...

henry and bradley.. boring =) (no offense)

Anonymous said...

44 SEBASTIAN
I like the name but I will always think of the crab ; )

Erin said...

Xavier - because it's stamped on CPKs' butts?

Mandy said...

Cody because it sounds like a dog name to me
Brody because it reminds me too much of Mattrats

Erin said...

Adrian because it will forever be mistaken as a girl name. And because I think of Rocky screaming it.

Erin said...

Also Parker... because it's the name of that annoying kid on Desperate Housewives. I definitely watch too much tv these days, apparently.

Erin said...

Back! Ready to nix, Collin (#38). I actually have always loved this name and it has made our official list both times around, but now a kid has surfaced in Ben's gymnastics class named Collin and I can't stand him. So it's ruined for me. :(

Bitter Mom said...

I took off Brian, Sean, Brandon and Adam. All too plain/ordinary IMO.

Erin, LOL @ Parker. I love that name, but it's a good thing I don't watch that show!! Don wouldn't go for that name anyway...

Sarah said...

Are you going to stick with the "J" middle name??

If so I would nix the "B" names...do you really want your son being called BJS???

And if you are ok with it, I would nix Brian - it's too popular. Unless you use the other spelling.

Sarah said...

Also, Alexander...remember he has to learn to spell your last name at the same time. As well as Nathaniel - I would keep Nathan, but #51 Nathaniel should go.

nelly said...

take of anthony and aaron...too old?

Erin said...

Hunter... too soap opera-y...

Mandy said...

Cameron. It reminds me of Kirk Cameron who is now weird.

Anonymous said...

33 DOMINIC

Bitter Mom said...

12 ELIJAH
17 GABRIEL
28 LIAM
53 ISAIAH
90 CHRISTIAN

I'm taking these out, all to speed up the list elimination, but the first three b/c they remind me of actors, Isaiah b/c it just doesn't sound right to me, and Christian because I'm not.

Erin said...

#5 Caleb - I like biblical names a lot... but I've heard a lot of this one lately.

#14 Dylan - only because I know one and eh...

#41 Mason - eh. Plus it sounds kinda strange with your last name.

Unknown said...

Wyatt -- Ben and I watch a lot of SuperWhy on PBS and all I can think of is the animated Wyatt character when I here this name. Don't get me wrong, he's cute and all... but he's CGI. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was me!

nelly said...

i say take off micah =)
chase and gavin.
your list has definitely gotten much smaller. are your favs still on the list??

Sarah said...

#19 - Benjamin
#25 - Nicholas
#32 - William

While I like all 3 of these, I think that if wanted to use them it should be the shorten versions of them. I went through the same thing naming Logan cuz of our last name. There is just to much name there.

Tracy said...

Colton - weird...but I second Janelle's question - are your three favorites still there?

Anonymous said...

52 SAMUEL

Bitter Mom said...

Sorry, forgot to check in here all day!

When I first looked at the list, I essentially added a 4th name into consideration. Only 2 of the 4 are left on the list now. :)

Anonymous said...

Miles - short for Miley (Cyrus) and reminds me of the uptight dude from that old Candace Burgen show. Am I dating myself?

Anonymous said...

47 Seth
83 RILEY

nelly said...

garrett...um reminds me of carrot? i don't know! just a name to come off!

Bitter Mom said...

I took off Luke and David.

Sarah said...

#37 Ian - knew one and everytime I hear that name is reminds me of him and he was a jerk (no offense to those that know any that aren't)

#74 Thomas - my BIL's name

#63 - Brice/Bryce - are little preppy for my liking - don't know just something about them

And no I did not follow the rules on this one either...I got tired of sending more than one comment

Sarah said...

#21 - Andrew - too popular

Anonymous said...

67 CARTER
I always think of the clothing brand.

Sarah said...

#23 Nathan - I'll think of the hot dog's

Sarah said...

#30 Cole - not feeling that either.

nelly said...

evan

nelly said...

i didn't look at the comments before writing, but now that i have, ETHAN is the last one standing!! lol =)

Sarah said...

Yup - looks like Ethan is the last man standing!!!!