Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

Yikes! Three times the fun?

baby development

Friday, December 22, 2006

Thus begins the holiday hell...

The parents came in last night. Hardly a mention of how the baby's doing. It took all I could not to cry on the car ride taking them to my grandfather's house. I also asked my mom again if she wants to go to the ultrasound next week. "I'll think about it. (long pause) What do you get to see?" Um, well, they show you my large intestine, mom, and what I had for breakfast that morning. Doesn't that sound fun?

I still don't know our "plan" for Christmas Day. What time? Where do I need to be? That's what I like about my family, though. There's one place, at whatever time. Don's family? Well, we need to go to his grandparents house in Arbutus for his mother's side of the family, and Ellicott City for Christmas dinner with his Dad's side of the family. And then later in the week, we get to go to the Eastern Shore to celebrate "Christmas" (i.e. just the present opening) with his parents and his sister's family. Three places, all for one side of our new family unit. Can you imagine what it will be like when our kid gets married and feels obligated to split this time between all these different places, and his or her in-laws?

It really makes me want to hibernate, not go anywhere, and not see anyone. I really do want my own holiday traditions, but I guess it's another year that we don't get to start our own. There's always Christmas Eve dim sum, I suppose. And Don still wants to open gifts Christmas morning. I'm all about Christmas Eve. It seems more "magical" at night. Candles, and the lights on the tree. And not a place to go. Just sit and drink egg nog around our house.

It's cookie time again. I made one batch last night. I'll be making another today, and if all goes well, there will be at least half of the original batch not eaten and fully decorated. I'm so proud, too, because I mastered the art of using a cookie gun. The first time I ever used one!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hence why I usually work on Christmas!

Bitter Mom said...

So jealous. That makes it so much easier, doesn't it?

Erin said...

What is UP with your mom? My mom or even my MIL would have jumped at the chance to go to the ultrasound with us!

Also, all that running around SUCKS. Yes, I do believe it sounds like holiday hell over there... ack. :\

Bitter Mom said...

I'm thinking maybe I should write a book for mom's like mine..."What to expect when your daughter's expecting" or something like that, so it's spelled out in black and white that she should at least ACT excited.

Now, don't get me wrong, she does love me. Just in her own, non-communicative, non-excited, cares-more-about-serving-brussel-sprouts-for-christmas-dinner-than-being-girly-with-her-daughter kinda way. Not that I'm bitter or upset about it or anything.

Anonymous said...

You could make a lot of money on a book like that I bet.

I feel for you guys and all your traveling. Next year, with the baby, maybe things will change... you can use the baby as an excuse to skip a few things. (and sometimes it's really not an excuse... it's just too much for the little one).