Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

Yikes! Three times the fun?

baby development

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Random stuff again...

I was asked if I would write a weekly blog on the local ad "scene", "industry", what-have-you, for a local website. I won't post it here, since it will be a connection to the real me, but I'll maybe link to it briefly once the first one gets posted, probably next week. I don't know what I'm going to have to say about anything on a weekly basis, but apparently my "boss" thought it would be good for me and my organization. Wonder who's going to cover that while I'm on "maternity leave". (That's in quotes, because that's still up for debate. Yes, I'll have some definite time off. I just don't know whether or not I'll get paid, or for how long.) For now, I have to write a bio about me, and find a good headshot - the one I used for press when I got hired a year ago? Not my favorite. In fact, I don't think it really looks anything like me.

My little "town" that I live in has definite rush hour traffic. I sat in it today coming home from a brief meeting and a run to Staples. It really put a damper on the rest of my evening. I'm always bragging about how my little local area is free from the congestion that pisses me off in areas like Towson, Bel Air, Owings Mills, Perry Hall, Columbia, etc. 5:00-6:00 any weekday afternoon is the exception. It took me a whole 5 extra minutes to get home today! Geez!

I'm supposed to be drinking 2 liters of water? Daily? I better get on that. First, I must pry myself away from the half-caff coffee in the morning.

On my third box of Honey Smacks, I got a kickin' pedometer. It has Mickey Mouse on it. Don tried to steal it. I told him he could have it, but he has to wear it to work. For a full day.

Is it about that time that I need to look into those child-birthing classes at the hospital? I guess I ought to find those brochure thingies and call someone about those.

Is it also time to start calling pediatricians, or is it still early?

I think we may go order the nursery furniture this weekend, and I still need to pick a paint color, but I ordered what will be the crib skirt and will also be sewn into a valance, so I ordered two of them. Anyone handy in making valances or using a sewing machine? Anyone have a sewing machine? I guess I need to find someone to do that, too. If any of the two readers I have can do it, I'll pay ya good money!! Or feel free to give me some recommendations!

Any opinions on rocking chairs over gliders? Yes, it's ironic that I'm willing to go get a beautiful (SAFE!) expensive crib, but I just can't see spending over $200 on a CHAIR that will have no use outside of the nursery. Plus gliders just don't come in black. And white? Eh, not crazy about it. And a totally white fabric-covered style glider? Will get way too dirty way too fast in this house. I found a cute rocking chair on Overstock.com that comes in black, so I just need to bring the suggestion up to Don. Oh, and it's just about $100.

Oh, and the dog's birthday celebration? A huge hit! Again, must find the cable to the digital camera! I got a great shot of Marshmellow going in for her first big bite of cupcake.

5 comments:

Erin said...

1) Not too early to start calling pediatricians.

2) I can make valances, but I've never made one from an existing something-or-other... so not sure how I'd do that. Hrm...

3) I didn't get a glider... there is no room (and wasn't really in Ben's nursery either) We have a rocking chair Tom's grandfather made that we use... it worked just fine. I'm sure gliders are more comfortable... but c'est la vie.

Bitter Mom said...

I showed Don the rocking chair I found last night. He's a guy, he doesn't care. I figure we have enough little pillows around to drop one on the seat for comfort.

Yeah, I can't wait to see the bed skirt to start surmising how a valance could be made from it.

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/k4019/index.cfm?pkey=cbdgnsh%7Cb

There's the link (if it works) for the bed skirt-to-turn-valance.

Anonymous said...

I've got a sowing machine. If the sowing isn't too difficult, there's a possibility I could do it (but I'd have to see it all first before committing). I did make Christmas stockings that look pretty good. If Mom-mom were still alive she'd do it for you in a heartbeat.

Bitter Mom said...

I know! I miss mom-mom!! Word on the street is that Don's mom might be able to do it, so I've just got to butter her up! :-)

Erin said...

Forgot to say that is way cool about the ad biz thing! Definitely post at least a temporary link beacuse I'd love to take a look! :D

Also, the childbirth classes you can take at 7 months. :) (or later, but 7 months is the when they usually like you to sign up)